Sunday, April 26, 2015

(Big) Little Happies

“Sorrow prepares you for joy. It violently sweeps everything out of your house, so that new joy can find space to enter. It shakes the yellow leaves from the bough of your heart, so that fresh, green leaves can grow in their place. It pulls up the rotten roots, so that new roots hidden beneath have room to grow. Whatever sorrow shakes from your heart, far better things will take their place.”

― Rumi

Hello again everyone! I'm back so soon, look at that! Well I have a few BIG "Little Happies" to share just within the past week so here goes. (Please keep the positive energy coming and thank you to anyone and everyone who said a prayer for me and Lupe over the last week or so, God is listening!)

1. Latino Book Awards


I am a finalist for the International Latino Book Awards!! Island of Dreams was actually selected as Best Young Adult Latino Focused Book!!! How awesome and exciting is that?! I wouldn't have even submitted my application were it not for my love, my best friend, my everything Lupe. Thank you honey! Te quiero!

There is one other book in my same category and on June 27th, the hubs and I will be attending the awards ceremony in San Francisco, where we will find out if I get first, second or honorable mention. Regardless of the outcome, I can officially call myself an Award Winning Author! :) And I can put fancy labels and stickers on my book cover. I was so elated I cried!! It was the same awesome feeling I got when I got the publisher's letter saying they wanted to publish the book. I never dreamed I'd get an award for it!

I will definitely share pics and and a post after the awards ceremony. This also means that I get to attend Latino Book and Family Festivals all around the US if I like and get to sell and sign my book. That is super exciting. :) Stay tuned for more on this awesome milestone. 

2. St. John's Reading


On Friday I had the priveledge of being asked to read a conference/workshop session for church leaders. It was such a unique experience and I was showered with love and gratitude that it really filled my heart to be a part of something. A place where people were coming together to talk about real community issues and find ways to help others. I am blessed to know people that are working for change and that trust me enough to be a part of it in some small way. 

I was able to share a couple new pieces, you can check out one of the pieces HERE

3. My Best Friend's Wedding

Cam & her fiance Adam
Aaaaaahhhh!!! My bestie is GOING TO THE CHAPEL AND SHE'S GONNA GET MARRIED! I had the highest honor of spending Friday afternoon with my best friend of over 13 years learning how to strap her into her dress for the big day. The fact that she chose ME to come to the dress fitting to learn how to do it is a HUGE honor. I love this woman to pieces and she has been by my side since I first moved to Houston, she was my college freshman roommate and we've been connected ever since. 

She's not having any bridesmaids (thank God, so over it) so she wanted to find ways to include her closest friends and family in special moments. It was so joyous and emotional to be there for her and she is so excited about the big day. 

She's getting married in Austin on May 10th- there will definitely be pictures!

4. Cleared for Conception

I wasn't sure if I wanted to share this news or not, but I figure if I put it out there in the universe then maybe it will happen. The same day I found out I won the book award, I got a call from the maternal fetal medicine doc (high risk OB) and she cleared us for conception. 

My kidneys seem stable enough right now, I understand the risks involved, and everyone seems comortable enough to let us pursue fertility treatments. !!!!!! :) :) !!!!!! 

I really didn't know which news made me happier to be honest, but this just about tops the list (almost). I know I still may have a long road ahead, but the fact that we can begin this new journey fills me with a lot of hope. 

We will definitely still be monitoring my overall health through the process and if anything begins to get compromised before I am able to conceive we will definitely stop. Please know (for those of you concerned) that this decision was not made lightly and we are working with a TEAM of doctors (Rheumatologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, MFM, Reproductive Endocronologist) to ensure that any future child is conceived AND delivered in the safest and healthiest way possible.

Please know, however that for personal reasons, if we are able to conceive, I will probably not share the news right away, or even early on. So be patient with me friends, and keep sending us prayers. 

5. Food...mmm Food... & Sleep...yay..sleep

I can eat! My mouth has greatly improved, though I still use the mouth gaurd to eat and sleep, but at least the pain is gone. And, my tummy troubles have settled down. The antibiotics are working and I have been able to eat several small meals without feeling awful. It feels good to nourish my body..finally.

I have been sleeping! Since I'm not up all night with excruciating back and side pain from indigestion, I am actually getting soome good sleep. The prednisone tends to wake me up at about 4am everyday, but I just meditate for about 10 min and able to fall back asleep. My energy and my mood is so much better when I've slept. Here's to hoping these meds keep working. :) 

6. Meditation & Vision Board

I have been meditating everyday before I get up and sometimes even before I go to sleep. It has really helped me stay focused and energized throughout the day and has calmed some of my anxieties and fears and stress. I definitely want to continue the practice since it seems to really be elevating my mood and allowing me to enjoy all the positive things happening in my life. 

Speaking of positive things, I finally finished my vision board. A craft project I started ages ago and finally sat down to complete. It reminds me everyday of the goals I want to achieve (a baby, another book, yoga teacher training), the things I have to look forward to(book signings, meditation, poetry readings, vacations, better health), and all the positive things already abounding in my life (my writing success, love, family, friendships, inner peace). 

That's really it for now. I had a great week and I hope the positive energy keeps flowing my way. I will keep you posted on any and all new developments- hopefully all joyous ones. 

Hugs & Chocolate

2 comments:

  1. i had this for 3 years.it was all over my arms,chest,stomach,legs,feet for 3 years and i had 4 of them in my arms taken off .The surgeon that took them off told me they would grow back,they did come back,the pains i get was killing me so I went to my doctor but all i keep on hearing is story. i went on search on the internet where i came across someone testifying about an herbal doctor curing him of his disease then i chose to contact him cause dercums was frustrating but at first i did not believe i was just giving a try of him. to my greatest surprise the herbal medicine sent to me did not only reduce them but also take them out completely and for over a year now no symptoms of it coming back
    kindly email him to get yours via: drfredherbalcuringcenter@yahoo.com ,he's an herbal doctor tell him i referred you to him and also he can cure other disease and sickness like; scleroderma,herpes,hives cause his a certified herbal doctor with license

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading testimony from Susan who i referred to Dr Fred now cure after few weeks of taking his herbal remedy, with this her testimony " Herpes almost frustrated me which i keep on with encouragement from family members and friend. i got my herpes cured totally with Dr Fred Herbal Remedy here in the United State because i got his whatsapp contact through a comment i saw about him getting someone cured. i wrote to him and ask some few question about his remedy. Today i am cured after just few weeks of taking his herbal remedy .Just write to him through his whatsapp channel +2348139097317 and get his herbal remedy for herpes so you can be cured and read more about him: www.drfredherbalcenter.webs.com ,email: drfredherbalcuringcenter@yahoo.com " i huge you to contact him so you can be cured ..

    ReplyDelete