Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Tis the Season!

Aaah! I can't believe I forgot my Sunday Blogday post! Sorry loyal readers...it was a bit of a crazy weekend. We moved into our new home! Yay! So needless to say, come Sunday I was pretty pooped and my body wanted to do nothing but sleep and sleep some more. Once the new house is "picture ready" I will post a blog all about it!

For now, I want to focus on the upcoming Holiday Season. As we all know, Christmas is the time for giving. Giving love, giving our time to our loved ones and those in need, giving gifts. For this post, I wanted to share a few thoughtful items and gestures that you might consider giving to that person in your life who lives with chronic illness or pain or that you (the chronic illness and pain sufferer might consider asking for). It's easy during this time of year to get caught up in the stress of it all, but if you take just a moment to really consider the needs and desires of those people who have it just a little harder than the average Joe, I promise they will be forever grateful. So..without further adieu...10 gifts/gestures you can do or ask for for the chronically ill.

$6.99-$20.00
Stocking Stuffers
1. Magic Tap Drink Dispenser- this fun and easily adaptable device can go over almost any jug!
Makes it tons easier to get juice, milk, or your favorite drink without having to lift a heavy jug, open a pesky tight lid or use your hands! And if you hate touching cold items, like I do, this keeps you from having to do that too!
$5.00
2. One Trip Grip Grocery Bag Holder- I have been wanting these for a LONG time. I usually have to do the big grocery shopping at my house and all that walking around in the cold a$$ store is hard enough...but then I have to go home and lift and carry ALL THOSE BAGS by myself TOO?! Well, this little product can make my trips a little easier! the one trip grip grocery bag holder allows you to carry more bags at once with an easy to grip device. Although I'm not a fan of carrying TOO much at once since then my arms hurt like hell later, I am a fan of reducing the number of trips back and forth to my car which is what is really exhausting. It could also be great for moms who have to carry their kids AND the groceries! And you can't beat the price!

3. USB Heating Gloves
$20.00
- I am obsessed with these gloves! I don't have them yet, so I can't say how well they work, but I am willing to give them a try. Since I work from home and spend most of my days on the computer, I can't imagine a more perfect gift! Or for that friend you know that works in a cold office (which most of them are) even in the summer. These gloves can become mittens and/or fingerless, and they heat up through a USB port that can easily connect to your laptop or computer! How perfect. I'm dying to test these out...so...if you want to get me a gift you know I'll love and use...*wink wink*
$15.00 (24pk)

4. The Gripper- these colorful and fun devices can be added to almost anything that requires you to
hold it/grip it (pens, pencils, utensils, razors, combs, paint brushes etc). I easily get hand cramps when writing, so these would be great for that friend that has RA, Scleroderma, or hand problems but still needs to write, paint, shave, and eat! :) A great, thoughtful stocking stuffer indeed!

Gifts that Keep on Giving:-Subscription Boxes!

I used to subscribe to Birchbox and I got a lot of wonderful and cute beauty supplies. I loved it! So...I thought why not suggest giving subscription boxes that chronically ill folks would really appreciate and love. What's great is that you can buy long term or short term subscriptions (Month to Month/ One time gift or 3 months- 1 year) and it's like they will get a gift from you each month! How thoughtful is that?! Here are 3 that I found that seem to be pretty awesome and great for those who have special dietary needs or just need a little "me" time- which all sick people do.

5. Send Me Gluten Free- many of us out there have decided or have been required to go "gluten free." Why? because it makes us feel better, reduces inflammation and keeps us from having digestion
problems. Or, perhaps you know someone who is trying very hard to go or stay gluten free but is feeling frustrated by what they can and can't eat. Well, this box seems to be a great sigh of relief. This subscription box provides you with great gluten free snacks, products and even recipe cards! If you're feeling stuck, eating the same 3 meals, finding it hard to eat things you like this might be able to open up your options. I'm definitely considering giving it a go! ($20-$30 a month)

6. Yogi Surprise- I love yoga. Yoga literally saved my life, my body and my mind. Nowadays, most of us know at least one yogi/yoga lover. So why not show them how much you respect their practice by giving them a subscription to this box tailored to yogis everywhere?! Yoga is also a great practice to start for anyone suffering with chronic pain, joint stiffness, or insomnia. This box will send you "6-8 full-size products designed to nourish and support your well being, vitality and growth You’ll get a variety of items from handcrafted yoga accessories and natural beauty items to herbal tonics, organic snacks and super food essentials." ($44.95/mo - a little pricey but incredibly thoughtful and even if you only send it as a one time gift- your yogi friend will love you!)

7. Hammock Pack- For those who love to travel but maybe can't afford it or don't have the energy this is a great little gift! I chose it mainly for the name, I've been dying to lie in a hammock for ages now but can't seem to find one. This subscription box is "a monthly surprise pack filled with everything you need to take a much needed getaway without even leaving your home. Enjoy a selection of products that are local to each monthly destination. Geared toward women, each pack is filled with a mix of food, bath products, housewares, and accessories you’ll only find while visiting each city. We love introducing you to unique, hard-to-find items while supporting small businesses!" ($30/a month)

Don't like any of the subscription box suggestions I made but still want to consider this as a gift? Go HERE for a full list of subscription boxes for everyone on your list!

Gifts & Gestures

8. For the Cook: Know a chronically ill person who loves to cook but struggles to get things done in the kitchen? Consider buying one or all of these gadgets and kitchen devices:

Vegetable Chop & Measure- allows you to easily chop AND measure vegetables. Great for those who struggle with holding a knife or are fearful of cutting themselves. ($19-$30)
KitchenArt Scrap Trap- this wonderful invention allows you to scoop all your chopped up food and veggies into a container that can fit into any drawer under you kitchen counter. I've been wanting one of these since my hands started acting up and it's hard hold my hands in a "scoop" position.
($10-12)

9. For the Forgetful: Brainfog is real. The stressful and overwhelming effects of brainfog can be debilitating. Forgetting where you put your keys, wallet, gloves, scarf, planner etc. can cause you to waste so much time and energy (trust me, I've been there). No one wants that, especially not a sick person. But unfortunately, for many of us, the drugs we take or the symptoms of our illness causes us to suffer from brainfog. So why not give a gift that could help?!

Lost and Found Trackers- these little devices you can place on almost anything and easily use an App on your smartphone to find it! (Just be sure you know where your phone is too!)
PC Mag.com suggests the following:

Bikn ($129.99 for starter kit with iPhone "smart case" and two trackers)
HipKey ($59.95 for one)
Linq Up ($2.50 per month for one tracker and support for up to three; due out in the next few months and includes a few other unique features)
Find by SenseGiz ($24.95 for two; made for pet-tracking in particular)
SticknFind ($49.95 for two trackers)
Tile ($17.50 each)
10. For the one who has it all: If you know someone who has it all, and insists on not receiving gifts, then why not donate to the organization of their illness?! What a beautiful gesture on your part. Most organizations will let you donate on behalf of someone or in honor of someone and may send you a card or thank you note that you can print and share with your loved one.

I know I get really excited and emotional when a friend or family member donates to the Scleroderma Foundation or the Lupus Foundation, it shows me that they listen to me, are aware of what's going on in my life and they know what's important to me. And, it can make you feel good too, and it's up to you how much you donate!

Don't want to just give money? Sign up to volunteer for one of the organization's events, or register for an upcoming walk and see if your family member or friend wants to join you! What better gift than giving the gift of your time?

These are just a few of the things that I know I want, and that I know many of my chronically ill friends would love and appreciate. Hope this helps make Christmas and Holiday shopping for us a little easier.

What are some of your favorite gift ideas?

------------------
All products mentioned are my own choices, I was not paid to endorse any of these products.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post!! Great suggestions. :) I'm a sucker for a good subscription box!

    ReplyDelete