Sunday, June 1, 2014

Back to Basics

“You may never know what results come of your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results.”
― Mahatma Gandhi (Click Here to Retweet This Quote!)

And so begins the social(media) experiment. Whereby I try to make at least one of these memes/pics go viral all for the sake of raising awareness. Will it happen? Who knows. Will it matter? To some. And to me, that's what counts. 

Over the month of June, I will post these self-created memes/pics/comics on my blog with some context, and on my FaceBook page and Twitter to see how many "likes," "shares," and "retweets" I can get. Maybe one of them will land me on Ellen. Maybe not. But I'm sure that at least within the Scleroderma community, it may cause a stir. 

We start this journey by going back to the basics. A simple introduction to me and to scleroderma. I took two photos. Which one do you like? 


I couldn't decide if I should be happy and enthusiastic to garner support? Or if I should be more like "yo..wtf?" What do YOU think? (Share in the comments section!)

This back to basics pic was inspired by the ones I've seen that get thousands of likes for "beating" cancer. Yes, that is something to celebrate, but what about those of us that struggle on a daily basis against something we will NEVER "beat" and that may eventually kills us? Chronic means forever, there is no cure and rarely remission. This disease affects parts of my body I didn't even know could hurt! (Know that tight, swollen feeling you have when a bug bites you? Imagine that, all over. Ever had a simple glass of water feel like its burning through your esophagus? Or had your jaw wired shut and have to take small bites cause your mouth won't open? Or that fatigue you get when you have the flu and life sucks? Yeah, it's like that: ALL. THE. TIME.) 

My mom recently told me she met another woman who's had Scleroderma for over 20 years. The woman said she was diagnosed with cancer 5 years ago and went through chemo and was thankfully able to beat it. The woman told my mom that compared to her battle with scleroderma, cancer and chemo was easy. (I'm not making this stuff up, and I share it because it is someone's truth) 

So, don't we deserve some recognition for fighting a never ending, painful and debilitating battle? Where's MY make a wish foundation? (I got some wishes!) 

But, like I've said before, if you're not getting your miracle, then it's time to BE the miracle. And maybe, just maybe...one of these pictures will reach someone in need and change their life for the better. Maybe...just maybe someone will see this and decide to get the help they need or be filled with the hope they once lost. Maybe, me or my words can be the miracle someone else was looking for. 

*************************
Want to know which pic I shared? 

Find me on FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/jasminne.mendez 
Twitter: @jasminnemendez


No comments:

Post a Comment